Thiess Secures Major Mining Services Deal with GEMCO

Thiess inks agreement with GEMCO

Mining services provider Thiess has secured a significant three-year contract with Groote Eylandt Mining Company (GEMCO), with the potential for a two-year extension, valued at approximately $120 million.

Michael Wright, Thiess Group’s Executive Chair and CEO, highlighted the company’s commitment to delivering sustainable mining solutions and supporting local community development, stating, “This award demonstrates Thiess’ commitment to delivering sustainable mining solutions for our clients, strongly supporting the further development of the local community.”

The contract encompasses a range of critical services for GEMCO’s manganese operation, located on Groote Eylandt, in the Gulf of Carpentaria, Northern Territory. South32 holds a 60% stake in the GEMCO joint venture, with the remaining 40% owned by Anglo American.

Thiess will be responsible for supplying, operating, and maintaining equipment for pre-strip mining operations, as well as designing and constructing essential support infrastructure, including workshops and related facilities.

David Greig, Thiess Group Executive Australia West, emphasized the significance of this contract in the context of the company’s strategic diversification into different commodities needed for the energy transition. He stated, “For Thiess, the continued diversification into different commodities needed for the energy transition is a key part of our strategy, with manganese playing a crucial role in steel production and having the potential to replace cobalt cathodes in lithium-ion batteries.”

Greig also highlighted that this contract marked Thiess’ re-entry into the Northern Territory, underscoring the collaborative efforts of the company’s regional teams and its ability to leverage expertise across the organization to deliver exceptional outcomes for clients.